Title Name: Room Tax Specialist
The tax specialist will be responsible for various tasks relating to tax report compliance, accounting, lodging provider permitting and education, and database maintenance. This will require extensive usage of Excel and its accounting features. In addition, the room tax specialist will assist with tax report completion, marketplace provider profile management, and informing the public on state and local room tax law, including municipal guidelines. The Door County Tourism Zone is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented individual skilled in computer functions and record maintenance to fill this full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Audit marketplace provider sites and pursue unpermitted properties.
- Prepare documents related to exemptions, fees, and billing and record them in the Tourism Zone database.
- Process permit applications and deactivation paperwork.
- Complete tax filing instruction sessions with lodging providers.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of office processes and high-level understanding of both Wisconsin room tax law (Wis. Stat. 66.0615) and Open Meetings Law (Wis. Stat. 19.81).
- Fulfill public data requests while maintaining public records and public meeting law standards.
- Use quantitative analysis to synthesize data, identify issues and trends, and prepare analytical and statistical reports as needed.
- Assume the statutory responsibilities of the Administrator in his or her absence.
- Under the direction of the Administrator, fulfill a variety of accounting, clerical, and customer service functions as needed.
- Maintains records and files for areas of responsibility.
- Performs other related activities as needed.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft programs, especially Excel.
- Experience with virtual meeting software and records management.
- Ability to follow processes with many steps consistently and accurately.
- Experience in executing basic accounting/math functions.
- Strong verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills. Employee must be able to speak, hear, and have correctable vision.
- Employee must be able to sit for prolonged periods, stand, crawl, and lift to 40 pounds.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction and work independently.
- Ability to operate common office equipment including computer, printer, calculator, copier, telephone and voice mail systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective public and working relationships.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Wages, Fringe Benefits, Terms of Employment
Wages for the position are established annually by the Commission, they are currently $20- 22 per hour dependent upon qualifications. Fringe benefits are defined in the Door County Tourism Zone Commission Employee Handbook. Current fringe benefits include participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System retirement plan, paid time off, paid holidays, and health insurance.
Job Location and Hours:
Position typically is based at the Commission office, currently in Sister Bay, Wisconsin (Moving to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin January 2024). Position is a non-exempt position with a standard Monday through Friday 40-hour work week. Additional hours may be required as needed to attend meetings or meet workload demands. Position requires periodic travel within Door County to other governmental offices, businesses, etc. Travel may be required outside Door County for functions related to the position including but not limited to conferences, seminars, or other meetings as necessary.
Please submit applications to [email protected].